We are seeking to expand our tween and teen computer programs. In Summer of 2017, the Mount Vernon Public Library offered our first summer coding program covering Scratch, HTML 5 and CSS 3, Wordpress, and Makerbot. We are taking our tweens and teens to the next level of STEM education. We are seeking to purchase robot kits and maker related materials like paper circuits for our tweens and teens.
Join us in the discovery of robots and making!
In addition to donating online, you can also write a check or give money in person at the business office of the Mount Vernon Public Library through the treasurer, Josa Alvelo. These funds will be added to the campaign and the givers name and amount will be displayed as a Give Gab donation.
The Friends of the Mount Vernon Public Library whole-heartedly supports this campaign. We are pleased to raise money for this educational robots program!
Mount Vernon Public Library 160 Years of Service
The Central Library of Westchester
1904 – Present The Mount Vernon Public Library was chartered by the State of New York in March, 1896. Andrew Carnegie, the retired steel tycoon and benefactor of libraries, donated $50,000 in 1904 for the construction of the building. The library, a neoclassical revival style building, was designed by Edward L. Tilton, a noted architect in the design of libraries.
The Westchester Women’s Club played a strong advocacy role in the establishment of the Children’s Department. New additions were made to the Library in 1909 and 1925. The first was financed by another Carnegie gift of $20,000, and the second by a school bond issue of $125,000.
In 1929, another school bond issue of $125,000 was voted to purchase adjacent property to provide room for expansion. In the late 1930’s a building program was undertaken that shaped the Library as we know it today. Ground was broken in 1937 for the third addition to the building, a new South wing. Work was completed in 1938.
In 1958, the library became...