Hosted by: World Affairs Council of Oregon
The World Affairs Council is seeking an intern/volunteer on a part-time basis to support the Global Classroom program by performing a variety of duties. The Global Classroom program intern/volunteer will assist in gathering Culture Box digital resources and lesson plans that both enrich the box content and support Oregon’s state standards and the Common Core Curriculum Goals. S/he will also have an opportunity to meet Council staff and work in additional areas that may be of personal interest.
Preference is given to persons who are studying or have studied in the areas of K-12 Education, with a special interest in global and multi-cultural studies, or a related field.
• Good editing and writing skills.
• Strong interpersonal skills.
• Interest in international affairs and global education.
• Proficiency in Microsoft Word and Excel; database and design skills a plus.
• Positive attitude, flexibility, sense of humor.
• Assist in the creation and development of Virtual Culture Boxes
• Gather resources to enrich Culture Boxes in support of Common Core Curriculum goals
• Research service learning opportunities that will connect Culture Boxes and other Global
Classroom programs to action projects
• Conduct outreach to Portland schools to inform them of World Affairs Council resources.
• Assist in Conference, Workshop, and Youth Forum planning and execution.
• Archive materials from past events (i.e. WorldQuests, Conferences, Youth Forums)
• Complete various clerical tasks such as making name tags, answering phones, making copies, etc.
• Assist with Global Classroom database entries and management
Time Commitment for Interns
Internships require a minimum of 15 hours a week and a three month commitment. Increased hours can lead to increased responsibility. World Affairs Council offices are open from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. during the work week.
Compensation and Credit
All World Affairs Council internships are unpaid. Interns are encouraged to attend monthly lectures and forums sponsored by the Council. Compensation comes in the form of practical experience working with a non-profit focused on education and international affairs. School credit can be arranged when applicable. Tri-met monthly pass reimbursement available if eligible.
Please submit a resume and cover letter at:
No one has signed up yet, but you could be the first!