Hosted by: Tompkins County Public Library
Contact coordinator for times
Reading to children is one of the best volunteer jobs around! How can you resist reading to energetic, adorable, little kids? When you share the joy of reading with young children, you not only enrich their language and literacy skills, you have an opportunity to bond with them and teach them social skills. Most importantly, you inspire them to become lifelong learners.
Contact person: Volunteer Coordinator: Yvette Rubio, 607-272-4557 ext. 226, Volunteercoordinator@tcpl.org
• Approach parents and children introducing yourself and sharing information about the program.
• Read a variety of children’s books with clarity and enthusiasm based the age and development of the child.
• Read to children one-on-one and/or in small groups.
• Develop and apply innovative and appropriate reading techniques that create interest, understanding and enthusiasm amongst children.
• Maintain necessary records of parents name and contact information.
• Maintains and records number of program participants.
• Maintain regular reading schedule of one hour weekly.
• We encourage you to attend a regularly scheduled staff reading before beginning to read.
• You must love to read.
• Enjoy young, energetic children with wide ranging attention spans.
• Be on time and committed to the program.
• Be able to positively redirect unpleasant behavior in a gentle, nonjudgmental way.
• Be able to read favorite books over, and over, and over again.
Hours: Reader is In Volunteers are expected to maintain a regular, weekly schedule, and to call in or otherwise notify Youth Services if they cannot be in.
Log in to see who is volunteering for The Reader Is In!