The mission of Griot Youth Program is to create a community of students, teachers, and volunteers that work together to encourage creativity in order to enhance lives, neighborhoods, and communities. The Griot Youth Program is a place where students receive excellent teaching in the arts and are encouraged in their academic progress in order to enhance their lives and communities.
The Griot Youth Program is an after school program for students in public schools in Clarksdale in 7th-11th grades. A team of staff and volunteers provide mentoring, tutoring, and classes in art, music, dance and theater to a group of 18 students Monday through Thursday.
◦ We promote the arts as a tool to express ideas through exhibits and senior projects
◦ We foster educational discipline and excellence through tutoring
◦ We give back to the community through service projects
◦ We experience culture in different areas through field trips
◦ We develop relationships with positive role models through the mentoring program
◦ We encourage communication and collaboration amongst peers through the spring project