St. Joseph Services (SJS) educates youth and adults at program sites located in some of Chicago’s most at risk neighborhoods for relentless violence and poverty. We creatively leverage an extensive volunteer force and neighborhood collaborations to provide out-of-school programs, tutoring, sports, computer and literacy classes, and job readiness training at low or no cost.
Inspired by the vision of St. Vincent DePaul, St. Joseph Services educates youth and adults, developing values and talents through collaborations to strengthen communities
Regardless of their situation, families and individuals can become pillars of strength in their local community, active members of a faith community, and role models for the next generation.
SJS works with impoverished communities throughout the Chicago area. With 37 employees (70% part-time) and approximately 400 volunteers providing over 10,000 volunteer hours, we assist more than 1,000 students in programs throughout Austin, Avondale, Humboldt Park and beyond.
Our Values: C.H.E.E.R.S
- Collaboration: To network with others to provide and enhance services.
- Hospitality: To welcome others in a spirit of openness and compassion.
- Empowerment: To educate, mentor, and assist others to grow toward their full potential.
- Excellence: To provide the highest quality of services.
- Respect: To treat others with reverence, compassion, and integrity.
- Service: Generosity of spirit, especially for persons most in need.