In 1928, Sacred Heart of Jesus became a canonical parish and in 1929 Sacred Heart of Jesus School became the first parochial school in our city. In May of 1942, the doors of a magnificent new church were opened for the parishioners of Sacred Heart. The building remains a monument to the generosity of the parishioners and friends of the parish who worked so hard to leave a legacy for future generations. Fr. Dominic Blasco patterned the church after the Cathedral in his hometown of Cefalu, Sicily. Filled with priceless artwork, the church building is an imposing structure combining Byzantine and Roman architecture. Fr. Dom Gregory deWit’s larger-than-life murals still impress and inspire visitors today.