Hosted by: MSU WK Kellogg Biological Station
Contact coordinator for times
Position Title: Bird Care
Agency: MSU Kellogg Biological Station
3700 East Gull Lake Drive
Hickory Corners, MI 49060
Contact Person: Volunteer Program Coordinator
Supervision: Sanctuary Staff (direct)
Volunteer Program Coordinator (indirect)
Task Description/Specific Duties:
• Learn to take care of captive waterfowl, raptors and gamebirds
• Help with feeding and maintaining a safe, clean environment for the birds
• Answer visitor questions while on the grounds
• Assist with bird physical exams and checkups
• Light maintenance of enclosures and ponds
• Maintain a clean and organized work environment
• Miscellaneous duties as requested
Days and Times Needed: Volunteer shifts are 4 hours between 9am and 5pm weekdays and weekends. Bird Care Volunteers are asked to commit to one shift per week for a minimum of 6 months.
Longevity/Duration of Position: Ongoing—Minimum commitment of 6 months.
Qualifications (Previous knowledge of subject matter is not required): Must enjoy
working outside in all weather conditions and be able to lift 50lbs. Must have an interest in birds and desire to learn how to care for them. Must be able to work independently and have reliable transportation. Minimum age 18.
Orientation and Training: Training is provided and all new Bird Care Volunteers wil
shadow the animal care staff or an experienced volunteer until they are comfortable working on their own.
Comments: Volunteers will be working in a friendly environment with helpful and
appreciative staff members.
No one has signed up yet, but you could be the first!