Sidewalker: (must attend a volunteer training / orientation) The sidewalker (either 1 or 2) walks to the side of the rider during class. The sidewalker’s primary responsibility is for the safety of the student during class.
Sidewalker tasks include:
· Greeting the student as he/she arrives
· Remaining with the student and get his/her helmet fitted
· Assisting the student in balancing on the horse, utilizing special holds
· Following directions of the instructor during class and assisting the student only when needed to promote independence
· Understanding the special needs of each student
· Mounting assists
· Understanding safety and emergency procedures
Horse Handler: (must attend a horse handling training) The primary job of the horse handler is to deal with the horse.
Horse handler tasks include:
· Grooming and tacking the horse before class, or assisting the student and instructor.
· Maintaining control of the horse
· Tack cleaning
· Understanding horse body language and horse psychology
Log in to see who is volunteering for Lesson Volunteers!