Bee part of the buzz Sunday, March 6 at 2:00 pm
Doors open at 1:30 pm
Ithaca High School Wellness Center
What's All the Buzz About?The IPEI Adult Spelling Bee supports the Grants Programs that help ICSD teachers expand hands-on learning and increase real-world experiences that engage students
By participating in the IPEI Spelling Bee, you choose to ‘bee” a part of the buzz. You and all of our supporters by connecting the schools with our diverse and talented community, engaging students, and enhancing education.
“The opportunity afforded to our learning community by IPEI thanks to the Caroline Wilderness Campus Initiative grant has been invaluable. I believe it has been not only a success for our school, but for our district. Not only does the data show significant growth in student writing and teachers knowledge of standards and case studies; we are happy! Our building is full of enthusiastic teachers and students .”
-Mary Grover, Principal, Caroline Elementary School
Registration Guidelines:Register your team of three spellers by clicking on Register. Make sure you read about the new format and new rules (below) before registering. You will be asked about this on the registration page.
Once you have entered your team information you'll have the opportunity to set up your fundraising page.
IPEI is proudly introducing a new Bee format. We listened to your feedback about word selection and pace of play, and looked at other adult spelling bees for help in making a change. The new format has been used successfully by the Bozeman Schools Foundation for many years. Click on "Spelling Bee Rules" below for a printable version of the new rules. See Bozeman Bee slides here.
- Each team will consist of three members. All teams should have a designated speller who will write the response on the white board.
- The Pronouncer will pronounce the word, give the definition of the word, use it in a sentence, give the language of origin, and pronounce the word once more.
- Each team will have 30 seconds to spell the word by writing it on the white board distributed to each team at the beginning of the round. The 30 seconds will begin when the Pronouncer has finished. The Timekeeper will give a warning when ten seconds remain
- Team members may collaborate on the spelling of a word.
- Team members may ask to have a word pronounced another time during the 30 seconds by raising the bee wand provided , though the clock will not stop.
- If a team completes their word before the 30 seconds is up the designated speller will raise his or her hand.
- Any team that does not hold up the white board HIGH when the judges call for time will be eliminated. Any team continuing to write after time is called or attempting to change the word as written on the slate will be disqualified.
- Penmanship counts! If the word is illegible or if letters are ambiguous, the word will be treated as misspelled.
- Do not erase your slate until you have been told whether your spelling is correct. If a team erases its word too soon they may be disqualified. If a team attempts to rewrite the word on the slate, the team will be disqualified. If you have spelled the word correctly and the judges notify you of this you may erase and prepare for the next word.
- If you have spelled the word incorrectly, please drape one of your flags marked with an X over the front of your table and prepare for the next word. Upon missing the spelling of two words, a team is eliminated from the round.
- The team left after all others in a particular round have been eliminated is declared the winner of that round, and will go on to compete in the Championship Round. Only one team from each round may participate in the Championship Round
- In the event that all teams in a round are eliminated at the same time by a single word, additional words will be added until just one team remains.
- Spelling words are chosen from various sources
- Words will be pronounced according to the diacritical markings in Webster’s Third New International Dictionary (1993), the official Bee dictionary. These procedures and official rules will govern at the spelling bee. Any disputes will be resolved by the judges. There will be no appeals.
Other Ways to Get Involved
There are many ways you can help support the Bee! Place an ad in the event program ($50 for a business card size ad); donate an item for our Silent Auction; or be a worker bee and volunteer to help at the event. Click the links below for more information.
I want to be a worker bee! Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
I want to donate an auction item for the Silent Auction