The Volunteer Thrift Sales Associate works to provide first-rate customer and donor services, maximizing sales and to support the daily operations of their respective Thrift Shop. Essential Job Functions include, but are not limited to assist with marketing the Shop in your neighborhood, conducting and completing sales, process donated merchandise, maintaining cleanliness and organization of sales floor, and ensure that inventory and pricing guidelines are complied with and maintained.
Customer Service and Sales
To understand and fully implement Housing Works’ customer service program which includes:
- The 10/4 Greeting
- The 4 Steps to Great Customer Service
- And the 5 Steps to Handling Customer Complaints
- Showcase exemplary customer/donor service, including but not limited to greeting, saying thank you, and explaining policies clearly and politely to the satisfaction of the customer.
- Prioritize assisting customers over all other store tasks.
- To be able to service multiple customers at one time with courtesy and sincerity.
- To employ suggestive selling techniques to better meet the customer’s needs.
- Know the daily sales goals and upcoming events or promotions.
- Actively promote upcoming events, sales, promotions and Housing Works mission at all stations and at all times.
- Assist with marketing store in neighborhood, especially during upcoming events.
- Cultivate relationships with repeat customers in order to serve them better.
- Preserve positive work-atmosphere by communicating with coworkers, volunteers, supervisors and customers/donors cordially and effectively.
Point of Sale/Cash Wrap
- Complete cash/charge transactions quickly and accurately, bag purchases efficiently and communicate upcoming events and promotions to the customer.
- Conduct furniture sales as outlined in policies and procedures manual.
- Maintain register cleanliness, cash wrap area must be clean and uncluttered, bags and supplies must be stocked and organized for efficiency.
- Greet and thank donors with walk-in donations and provide excellent customer service as per the Housing Works’ customer service program.
- Offer Donor Inventory Form and provide any assistance as necessary to the donor.
- Process merchandise according to store standards.
- Efficiently distribute goods to proper locations, taking into account all safety/processing guidelines.
General Duties/Asset Protection
- Maintain cleanliness and organization of sales floor, stock rooms, cash wrap, and fitting rooms.
- Demonstrate a high degree of integrity and enforce/uphold all Housing Works policies and procedures.
- Utilizing the 10/4 greeting, acknowledge all customers, monitor fitting rooms and be aware of potential theft/tag switching.
- Ensure register, cash handling and banking practices are in compliance with Housing Works policies and procedures.
- Ensure that inventory and pricing guidelines are complied with and maintained.
- Report unsafe working conditions immediately and demonstrate safe work habits.
Housing Works Ambassador
- Participate in at least one direct action per quarter aimed at ending the twin crises of homelessness and HIV/AIDS.
- Know the Housing Works’ Mission Statement and goals and be able to inform and discuss with customers.
Create Volunteer Culture
- Create and maintain a welcoming environment for volunteers.
- Work with all staff to train and develop volunteers.
- Actively recruit for volunteers from customers, donors, and neighborhood institutions.
- Broadway Thrift, 2569 Broadway Avenue
- Park Slope Thrift, 266 5th Avenue
- Brooklyn Heights Thrift, 122 Montague Street
- Soho Thrift, 130 Crosby Street
- Buy the Bag Thrift, 159 28th Street
- Tribeca Thrift, 119 Chambers Street
- Chelsea Thrift, 143 West 17th Street
- Upper East Thrift, 202 East 77th Street
- Columbus Thrift, 306 Columbus Avenue
- West Village Thrift, 245 West 10th Street
- Gramercy Thrift, 157 East 23rd Street
- Yorkville Thrift, 1730 2nd Avenue
- Hell’s Kitchen Thrift, 730-732 9th Avenue
- Attend Info Session/Interview with Volunteer Program Manager
- Must be 16 and over to apply independently. People aged 14 and 15 must obtain working papers from their school and parent’s permission before attending a session.
- Complete in-store orientation and training after completing Info Session/Interview
- Strong interest in the HW mission to end the dual crises of homelessness and HIV/AIDS
- Commitment to excellent customer service
- Excellent communications skills (both verbal and written), interpersonal and team-oriented skills
- Self-starting, self motivating mindset
- Attention to detail
- Basic mathematical skills to include adding, subtracting, multiplying, dividing, and calculating percentages
- Flexibility in schedule
- Ability to stand, walk, kneel, and bend for long periods of time and lift up to 40 pounds
Parents and children are invited and encouraged to get involved.
Log in to see who is volunteering for Thrift Sales Associate (Ongoing)!