Hosted by: Great River Rescue
Happy Tails Summer Day Camp is a primarily volunteer-led activities camp for kids from 3 – 5th grades. Kids learn about caring for animals of all kinds and becoming responsible animal guardians in a safe and secure environment. Activities include supervised pet-handling, educational lectures and discussion, arts and craft making, games, and more. The objective is to help provide a fun and safe environment for children participating in the Happy Tails Summer Day Camp.
• Volunteers are expected to commit to certain days and/or program areas of the camp. Volunteers do not necessarily need to commit to all five days of the camp, but a full commitment is preferred.
• Attendance at pre-camp orientation or meeting with shelter Director.
• Following camp guidelines.
• Performing duties as assigned in program areas.
• Assisting with camp activities as needed and as directed by Camp Leaders.
• Promoting cautious and safe handling and interactions with shelter pets.
• Doing your very best to help campers have a great camp experience.
• Opening & Closing Meeting Times- get campers organized and into their teams, encourage open discussion and interaction with campers and leaders, keep campers focused on the presentation or activity
• Educational Curriculum Activities- assist campers with educational activities, keep campers engaged in the activities, help with set-up and clean-up of activities
• Snack Time- Help with food prep, help with set-up and clean-up of snack area
• Arts & Crafts Time- Help with craft prep, help with set-up and clean-up of craft area, assist campers as needed with their crafts, encourage campers throughout the activities
• Guest Speaker Presentation- Assist guest speakers as needed, keep campers focused on the presentation or activity
• Pet Social Time- Some handling of shelter pets, instruct campers on appropriate interactions with shelter pets, help provide a positive experience for all campers with shelter pets
• Must be at least 16 years of age
• Should enjoy working with dogs and cats
• Should enjoy working with children aged 7 - 11
• Able to understand and follow oral and written instructions
• Able to humanely handle animals under various circumstances
• Strong work ethic, responsible, and good follow through on commitments
• A positive attitude and passion for the work of the organization
• Able to work with others sharing opposing viewpoints harmoniously and effectively
• Previous camp and/or youth group leadership experience a plus, but not required
• First Aid/CPR certification a plus, but not required
Click "sign-up" on this opportunity. You will be contacted with further instructions.
Log in to see who is volunteering for Summer Day Camp Leader!