S: Street Intervention and stopping the violence
N: National, State and local funding support
U: Use of celebrities and centers
G: Goal = Strengthen the Community Through Partnerships
SNUG is an evidence-based violence reduction initiative. SNUG works with community residents, businesses and community-based organizations to implement coordinated strategies to reduce and prevent violence in the community. Family and Children’s Violence Reduction Initiative will interrupt violence, change behaviors and change community norms for eligible individuals living in the Village of Hempstead.
SNUG is seeking volunteers to assist in monitoring youth during school dismissal to prevent any potential violence and act as a chaperone during events/activities/trips. The ideal volunteer would possess the following characteristics:
Weekday availability between 1:30-3:30pm/ Flexible availability for events
- Able to engage a diverse population with varying cultural backgrounds
- Maintain a professional demeanor even when confronted with difficult and emotionally charged situations
- Great interpersonal skills and the ability to connect with youth
- Physically able to climb up and down stairs that are encountered on field trips.
- Spanish-speaking is helpful
Please contact Jinny Ferro at 516-746-0350 ext.4365 or JFerro@Familyandchildrens.org to request a volunteer application.
No one has signed up yet, but you could be the first!