Restoring Watersheds and Improving the EnvironmentFor 20 years EPCAMR has been providing educational programs for students of all ages, while positively impacting local watersheds and the environment that were adversely affected by the anthracite boom of the early part of the 20th Century. These programs require an assortment of equipment and supplies that EPCAMR and our staff need to perform the types of technical assistance and water quality and flow monitoring services that we provide to the communities that we serve throughout Northeastern and North Central PA.
There is an extensive list of equipment that your generous gift will allow us to procure in order to achieve the impact that we have on our community. Below are just a few examples of what we need to purchase in the coming months in order to continue to educate and serve our communities.
- HERO GoPro4 Cameras with attachments and mounts- The cameras will allow us to create video footage that will help us to educate the community of the dangers of abandoned mine lands and impacts of polluted water.
- TopCon Total Station- Used in surveying surface locations of abandoned foundations from former mine collieries or mine shafts. Also, allows us to survey slopes and shoot elevations for AMD wetlands treatment systems where we are working.
- Pressure Transducers- By installing them at various mine discharges, they will allow us to obtain accurate flow readings and to assist with calculating the mine water pool volumes underground throughout the region.
- Swoffer Flow Meter- Measure stream flows, and mine discharge cross-sections.
- Kayaks- Will allow for more staff and volunteers to participate in the process of procuring water samples throughout the region's affected tributaries that are inaccessible by land.
- Children's Waders- Purchasing more children's waders will allow us to serve larger groups of students in a more efficient manner, while we conduct educational programs and seminars on rivers and streams.
- 10' x 18' wooden shed- We need better and more secure storage for our existing and future equipment.
EPCAMR has always been efficient in its utilization of resources over the years. We promise to continue executing this same fiscally responsible approach, however, we NEED your support to help us expand our program offerings that not only educate the citizens, but also clean and preserve the vast natural resources that call Northeastern Pennsylvania home. Without these resources our technical assistance capacity is limited. Any amount that you can contribute will help us to increase the scope of our programs.