Hosted by: Center for Survivors of Torture
Contact coordinator for times
Specific activities include:
• Volunteers will brainstorm a list of useful toys, puzzles, books, and furnishings that will help children to feel welcomed and ready to learn;
• Volunteers will design and completely decorate the learning space in the adjoining suite to include a play space and classroom that is intended to encourage socialization and learning;
• Volunteers will determine what materials will best introduce Texas and will provide these materials;
• Volunteers will determine and provide culturally appropriate snacks and drinks for the children from various countries for example, Nepal, Burma, Ethiopia and the Maldives;
• Volunteers will provide books and art supplies that could be used as an introduction to American culture;
• Volunteers will develop an inventory of contents that every child’s welcome backpack is to contain. The volunteer will provide each child in the program with a backpack of supplies;
• Volunteers will help shop for:
o Folders so each child will receive a folder
o Taking Turns stick
o Specific selection of magazines, maps, construction paper, glue sticks, age-appropriate scissors, colors, markers, pencils
o Independent play and developmentally appropriate books, dramatic play materials, developmentally appropriate toys
Volunteers will be required to attend a 2-hour orientation to CST prior to volunteering to provide background and education related to the refugee population. A volunteer manual will also be available. This orientation will be very useful in learning about the clients, why our clients come to CST and how we are rebuilding lives in Austin. This orientation will be held at CST. The day and time will be arranged according to volunteer’s availability. After the orientation, volunteers will spend the first week with CST staff to receive hands-on training and an introduction to clients.
Parents and children are invited and encouraged to get involved.
No one has signed up yet, but you could be the first!