English at Home Tutor
Contact coordinator for times
About English at Home Tutor
Partner with an adult immigrant or refugee that would like to learn and build upon their everyday English speaking, reading and writing. We build fundamental literacy skills (listening, speaking, reading, and writing) for English speakers facing barriers to attending traditional English classes, such as: transportation, childcare or cultural practices. All of our sessions are free to our clients, and we couldn’t provide the level of service we do without the help of our wonderful volunteers.
Our sessions are learner-focused. Our learners each have different strengths and areas for growth. Their goals range from: scheduling a doctor’s appointment, passing the citizenship test, asking their child’s teacher questions, going shopping or even reading a bedtime story to their child.
Our volunteers encourage and support the adult learner by helping them develop confidence in their English skills. We believe the connections our volunteers make with their clients are mutually beneficial; our communities are stronger and more vibrant when we build these bonds. You will make a difference by providing the tools for success!
Please note: Due to the time it takes to complete training and to find a learner who is a good match, this is not a quick-start opportunity and we generally ask for a 6-month minimum commitment.
- Likes to connect with others
- Feels comfortable working with individuals with varying levels of English
- Can work independently; however, also are willing to ask questions, as needed.
- Seeks out educational resources and can develop teaching materials
- Is compassionate and culturally sensitive
- Think on their feet and creatively problem solve as the needs of the learner change
- Must be comfortable communicating in English- English speakers of all levels are welcomed and encouraged to apply
- No previous experience is necessary; training is provided. However, teaching, tutoring, cross-cultural experiences or additional language skills are a plus
- Must be 18 years old to volunteer
- Have access to a computer/tablet/phone with a webcam feature and reliable internet
- Basic computer skills and familiarity with Zoom, WhatsApp or FaceTime
1-2 hours per week; most learners are looking for 45 minutes to 1-hour sessions, once or twice a week
We work with your schedule- schedules will be determined based on both the learners’ and the tutor’s availability
A volunteer may work with more than one learner individually, if the volunteer wishes
Volunteers will receive training before being matched and will have ongoing educational opportunities to enhance their teaching techniques and learning activities.
Volunteers receive regular staff support through periodic check ins, monthly newsletters and Volunteer Meet Ups (virtual educational and collaboration time). They also have access to a vast library of instructional material.
Jessica Brandt, email@example.com
Please apply by clicking here- http://bttr.im/mnolu
We're looking for volunteers who:
- International Migration, Refugee Issues
- Ethnic/Immigrant Services
Are a skilled:
- Social Savant
No one has signed up yet, but you could be the first!