Founded in 1899, chartered in 1916 and incorporated in 1927, the Boys & Girls Clubs of Northeastern Pennsylvania has been in the forefront of youth development activities, and working with young people from a variety of economic, social and family circumstances. The primary mission of the Club is to “inspire and enable all young people, especially those who need us most, to realize their full potential as productive, responsible and caring citizens.”
The Club offers young people what they need and want most - adults who respect and listen to them; a safe environment where they can have fun and be themselves; and interesting, constructive activities that channel youthful energy into challenging pursuits. A youth development strategy that fosters a sense of belonging, competence, usefulness and influence underlies all Boys & Girls Club’s programs. The initiatives are aimed at building self-confidence and self-esteem.
Today, some 1,000 boys and girls, ages six to 18 years old, take advantage of the programs, activities and services provided by our agency. Generations have benefited from a trained and caring staff and volunteers who teach, guide, encourage and inspire underserved young people to take control of their lives, envision productive futures and carry-out plans to reach their goals.
The Club has always been cognizant of the need of serving children throughout the region. So, 2000, the agency moved into Luzerne County, bringing time-tested initiatives to children in low-income housing developments.
Tricia DiBiasi Thomas
570.342.8709 ext. 111