Hosted by: Big Brothers Big Sisters of Vermont
Contact coordinator for times
Big Brothers Big Sisters provides 1-to-1 quality adult-to-child mentoring programs for children age 6-18 in both a Community-Based and school-based setting. We require that all volunteer Bigs complete a comprehensive application process and background check and commit to serving a minimum of one year in the program.
The goal of our Community-Based program is to open children's eyes to the opportunities outside their immediate environment. Matches go on outings and participate in low cost/no cost activities in the community, such as: going to a museum, biking, kayaking, hiking, cooking, inspiring each other to learn new things or just spending time together and talking. Some Bigs meet their Littles on the weekends while others get together with their Littles in the evenings. Each match is unique and develops a schedule that works for them.
Site-Base at School Mentoring
Although it takes place at schools, our School-Based Mentoring program isn't limited to the classroom. Some Littles talk with their Bigs about class, do homework, or read together; others play board games, shoot hoops in the gym or play on the playground. Along with providing academic support, this mentoring program provides friendship, guidance and inspires Littles to reach their full potential.
1. Fill out an application online or request a paper application.
2. Email completed application to firstname.lastname@example.org
Mail to BBBSVT at P.O. Box 1729, Brattleboro, VT 05302
3. Once received a BBBSVT team member will contact you to set up an in-person interview.
4. We'll check references, complete a criminal background check and compare your likes, interests and personality traits to Littles on our waiting list.
5. Once we have found the perfect Little to match you with, we will set up a time for everyone (you, the Little and their parent(s) to meet and you make the final decision if the match is right for you!
6. Once matched, you'll meet with your Little 2-4 times per month participating in fun activities in the community, or during lunch/recess time at school.
No one has signed up yet, but you could be the first!