Designed and built as a community meeting place in 1899, the Tudor Revival building housing the Aurora Free Library was a gift to the Village of Aurora from Louise Morgan Zabriskie. Some of its splendid interior features include ornately carved woodwork, leaded glass windows, and a Victorian theater, the Morgan Opera House, on the second story. A complete archive of charter documents are available online.
The building currently houses the library, a basement jail cell and the Opera House, which was dormant for nearly fifty years. In 1989, under the auspices of the Aurora Free Library and with the encouragement of the Aurora community, the restoration of the Opera House was begun. Over the following five years, the Opera House was restored to its original condition while utilized as the setting for a variety of cultural events each summer.
Enrichment through literacy, community and learning.