When Black Lives are under attack: WHAT DO WE DO?
And we've been fighting in more ways than one! Movement work is one of the most courageous paths to transformation. It is rapid. It is harsh. It is loving and full of grace all at the same time.
This past year we've been up against a lot more than before. #BlueLivesMatter became a bill and with it solidified Kentucky's legislation against Black Lives.
JCPS looming state take over is taking place.
Racists have become emboldened in this first year of Trump and have sought to interrupt our lives in a plethora of ways.
We've made sure that we stand tall during all of it. We've empowered many along the way:
- Faced legislators against several bills to oppress Black and Brown folk at the local and state level.
- Joined in solidarity across movements for resistance against this state and national government built on fascism.
- Created actions that lifted resistance and supported #BlackLouisville & #WestLouisville
- Held political education and training for community and accomplices; including Emergent Strategy
- DEMANDING that LMPD take down the photos of #CoreyBoykin's dead body off their social media sites (FB and Twitter)
- Supported community members who were houseless, homeless and in need of hope.
- Created the Louisville Community Bail Fund to help those in jail because of bail. This was a cap on the ongoing work that we do to support those reentering the community.
- Strengthened our Healing Team that now includes a racial trauma clinic (Call 502-792-7011 for the Mae Street program)
- Co-organizer Greg King has created a bi-monthly concert series to assist People's Acupuncture and the BLM Healing Team.
- Team members have assisted some movement response needs from Boston to Houston.
- DEMANDING SRO's are removed from JCPS
AND SO MUCH MORE!!!
We've also been receptive to the outpouring of self care for us and how that can be mirrored in impacted communities. We want to thank all of you who have donated to the Self Care Fund and provided much needed self care time for our organizers.
We have so much planned for the future like:
- Funding organizers needs (including regular stipends...)
- Funding community members in their crisis
- Rolling out, with full support (including personal centered support) the Louisville Community Bail Fund; a bail fund with the National Bail Fund Network
- Strengthening and empowering our community education programs and events
- ...and wherever resistance takes us!