The Association of Latino Faculty and Staff
Dr. Lester Edgardo Sandres Rápalo Award for DACA students
The Purpose of the Association of Latino Faculty & Staff – Dr. Lester Edgardo Sandres Rápalo Award for DACA students is to recognize/support students with DACA status. The DACA status allows undocumented students to attend college as well as to obtain temporary work permits. The DACA status is renewable every two years, which has an application cost. Due to the lack of financial aid support, only 10% of the estimated 65,000 DACA students enroll in college.
The Dr. Lester Edgardo Sandres Rápalo Award for DACA students was established to provide these students with the opportunity to enroll in college to pursue their educational goals. Bronx Community college can be a partner for this student group that needs our help.
Let’s be the community that makes them feel safe and gives them a sense of belonging. Be our partner in giving hope to our BCC DACA students.
Students interested in applying or the Scholarship will need to meet the criteria below:
· Must have a DACA status
· Must provide one letter of recommendation from a BCC faculty or staff;
· Must have a demonstrated financial need;
· Freshman and transfer students are welcome to apply
· DACA students in Stem programs are encouraged to apply
· Must write an essay with a minimum of 500 words about his or her future career goals; how achieving DACA status has impacted their lives