Dear Oxford Community Market Friend,
As the 2017 market season draws to a close, we’d like to take a minute to thank you for your support and fill you in on the important work that you made possible. Thanks to your gift, Oxford Community Market is more than just a place to buy vegetables – it’s a 36-week long celebration of community spirit.
Since becoming an independent non-profit organization just over one year ago, OXCM supporters have enabled us to grow in our mission to make healthy, fresh food accessible to our entire community, especially those facing barriers. This year, your commitment to building a strong local food system has helped us:
- Provide 2,935 lbs. of fresh, local food donated to the Oxford Food Pantry, CB Webb Apartments, and Canterbury Crest through OXCM’s Fresh Food Drive.
- Launch the Oh, SNAP! Program to provide matching dollars for shoppers who receive SNAP benefits, formerly known as food stamps.
- Serve as Lafayette County’s only WIC Farmers Market Nutrition Program site.
- Provide 36 weeks of free special events, activities, and educational programming with partner organizations.
- Served a service learning site for RSVP, Volunteer Oxford, The Boys & Girls Club, and UM students.
- Support the growth and development of 40 small, locally owned businesses.
- Provide 600 lb. of fresh, local food to Oxford Food Pantry families through OXCM’s Thanksgiving Harvest Angel Program.
- Provide 36-weeks of Music at the Market performances along with stipends for local musicians.
Over the past year, we have focused on deepening our community connections. On Wednesday mornings, we work at the pantry during distributions to get to know families who might benefit from OXCM programming. When we deliver fresh food to the seniors at Canterbury Crest every Wednesday evening, we stay and visit with them for a while, reminding them to come on down to the market on Tuesday. We’ve passed out homemade cookies and information about the market at OUT bus stops. We engage students in learning about the rewards of volunteering and provide a place for senior volunteers to stay connected to their community.
Community partners like you are the backbone of small non-profit organizations like OXCM. If you value the work that we’ve accomplished together, we ask that you consider a tax-deductible end-of-the-year gift to OXCM so that we can expand our efforts to build community and improve access to fresh, local food in 2018.
In community spirit,