“NO ONE WILL PROTECT WHAT THEY DON’T CARE ABOUT AND NO ONE WILL CARE ABOUT WHAT THEY HAVE NEVER EXPERIENCED.” -SIR DAVID ATTENBOROUGH
During a time when Wilderness and wild places are under threat in so many ways, it is easy to lose sight of what we are fighting for. During this year’s Nevada’s Big Give, we are raising funds to rebuild the “Explore” section of our website. Our goal is to create a modern platform that will provide you with all the information you need to discover beautiful wild areas across the state. Our updated Wilderness web pages will include interactive google maps; resources to plan your trip; details about the area’s plants, animals, and cultural history; a gallery of photos; and more! We hope that this user-friendly online resource will inspire individuals to get outside and discover wild Nevada for themselves.
Wilderness Finder Page
- An interactive map of the state of Nevada, with all of the Wilderness Areas, Wilderness Study Areas, National Conservation Areas, National Monuments, Wildlife Refuges outlined within the map.
- Directions Feature, capable of generating directions to the trailhead of your next adventure right from your doorstep, without having to leave our website
Wild Area Web Pages
(One page for each of the 70 Wilderness Areas, 60 Wilderness Study Areas, 3 National Conservation Areas, and much more)
Each page will contain several tabs, described below:
- Summary - A quick overview that will give you a baseline understanding of the area and the contact info for the management agency’s field office.
- Maps - An interactive area map with key routes/trails, as well as downloadable pdf maps of each area and downloadable KML files for Google Earth.
- What’s Out There? - Information on plants, animals, geological features, and the cultural history of the area.
- Planning Your Trip - An interactive map where you can generate personalized directions to the area, information on recreational opportunities, a list of nearby campsites, leave no trace principles, and basic safety information.
- Gallery - A gallery of the best images of the area.
- Additional Resources - Links to information about the area that is hosted on other websites.
- Fundraising - March 19-23rd
- Developing Wilderness pages - Ongoing with target launch date of January 2019
- Developing Wilderness Study Areas, Lands with Wilderness Character, NCAs, and Wildlife Refuge pages - Will start after and Wilderness pages are completed.
- The site will continue to be updated as new areas are designated.