Being a fundraiser can be extremely stressful. The demands are high and you probably find yourself wishing you had more time in the day and more hands on deck to accomplish everything you need to.
An article from the Chronicle of Philanthropy found that: “Half of the chief fundraisers plan to leave their jobs within two years or less. Forty percent are thinking about leaving fundraising entirely.”
We hear so often that a solid fundraising program takes a lot of patience and time to build. But more and more fundraisers are dissatisfied with their jobs and calling it quits within a few short years.
Yes, it can be discouraging when you don’t see immediate progress. Especially when it can take up to two years just to get to know your donors!
Sure, maybe you’re truly feeling like your current position isn’t a good fit for you, and if that’s the case, it could be time to reevaluate and find a position that could serve you better.
However, it might be worth looking into ways you can combat dissatisfaction before jumping on the job boards.
How do we go about doing that?…
If you’re a fellow fan of the show Parks and Recreation, you might be familiar with the phrase:
“ TREAT YO SELF ”
If you don’t watch the show, just watch this quick snippet.
I’m not saying you need to go out and drink mimosas and purchase fine leather goods, like Tom and Donna, to feel less stressed – unless it does the trick! 😉
The point I’m trying to make is that you need to make yourself a priority and “treat yo self” first before you can help anyone else.
Caring for yourself is the first step to combatting the dissatisfaction you feel and it doesn’t have to break the bank either.
Here are a list of ways you can treat yo self at work, home and really anywhere!…
Things you can do at work
- Read an inspiring blog
- Listen to your favorite music
- Make a cup of tea
- Walk around the block
- Invest in some desk toys
- Use an app that reminds you to take a breather
- Surround yourself with positive messages
- Compliment someone
- Meet a friend or loved one for lunch
- Start a pinterest board of places you’d like to see one day
- Take 5 minutes and call a loved one just to say “hi”
- Initiate a game time for you and your co-workers each week
- Ask for that raise!
Things you can do at home
- Cook a new meal
- Do a fun craft
- Color or paint a picture
- Drink a glass of wine
- Soak your feet in the tub
- Paint your nails
- Take a soothing bath
- Take a nap
- Watch your favorite show
- Play an instrument
- Listen to music
- Watch funny youtube videos
- Do a home workout
- Listen to a podcast
- Try meditating
- Stretch or do Yoga
- Plan a fun road trip
- Straighten up a small area for 5-10 minutes
- Have some cuddle time with your favorite person or pet
Things you can do elsewhere
- Do a workout at the gym
- Go for a spa day
- Find a comedy open mic night
- Meet a friend for coffee or tea
- Get outdoors and get some fresh air
- Try that new restaurant
- See a new movie with some friends
- Take a walk
- Go for a bike ride
- Go for a hike
- See a show at a local theater
- Learn something new that you’ve always wanted to try
- Refine a creative skill
- Volunteer (helping others makes you feel good too)
- Go on an extended weekend getaway
- Take a vacation (I’m talkin’ a real one where you actually relax and do nothing but read on a beach!)
How will you treat yo self? 🙂